.

Friday, January 18, 2019

More than Black & White: I am Who I am Essay

One thing that truly sparked my attention for this assign workforcet is the title, Who am I and Why Does it Matter? Over twenty-two years of my existence, I still ask myself this question every day. I cannot guarantee that I have an absolute answer, for I am still in the subroutine of personal discovery and grasping the concept of personhood that differs at a special(a) time. What does it unfeignedly mean to be me, especi ally at this delegate in time? Am I the same person now as opposed to say, a decade ago? As I leave a step back and recollect all my past experiences in behavior, I noticed how much I have grown and how my acquaintance of who and what I am has significantly transformed. Each year contri hardlyes to my develop custodyt as I transition from an adolescent into adulthood each life demo marks a radical beginning as I advent closer and closer towards uncovering this indeterminate question of Who and what am I?I identify myself as a cosmos but what does it real ly mean to be a man? Is it restorely defined by my biological features, the way in which I am genetically innate(p) with male genitals? As I continue to dive march on into this question, I am moveed once again by John Lockes Prince and the Cobbler analogy. If the prince, one day, wakes up in the cobblers carcass, is he no longer the princeand vice versa? To what I remember in my ism course, Lockes objection to the Same-Body Theory, argues that the sameness of body cannot be the gauge of identifying whether or not two individuals ar the same person. Similarly, in contemporary propagation in that location be individuals who are genetically born as males but identify themselves as femalesand vice versa. So if the body is not the sole definition to define gender variations, then what is? Growing up, I was taught that men are expected to be masculine, strong, and brave.Residing in a male-dominant society, often time men are expected to suck up their painphysically or emotionall y. We must play the dominant role and cannot evidence signs of business or we would be seen as incompetent. Women, on the other hand, are depict as a motherly-figure, the nurturer and homemaker and believe it or not, women are perceive as inferior in contrast to the superiority of male counterparts. It is ascribable to these gender roles that every individual must act a certain way in order to uphold societys stereotypical views of what is considerably the norms given these gender variations. And believe me, I am everything non what was described above. I am scrawny like a twig, unafraid(predicate) to show my emotions, still cry like a baby when I need to, and in that respect is relatively a feminine touch in spite of appearance me. I see myself as a man, not because of my physical body or how society shapes the image of what a man is supposed to be.I am a man, because of my own personal set, beliefs and how I was raisedmy culture, character, and to the highest degr ee most-valuablely, my own shaped image or interpretation of what a man truly entails. In other words, I can associate a man who is unafraid to break boundaries directing to traditional gender roles, soulfulness who is confident in his own skin and fearless to show emotions. He is a hero not because he portrayed no signs of failing or fear. He is a hero because he is unafraid to show those weakness or fear in public, and to conquer them in nice stronger. It does not matter how society sees you, what really matters, is how you see yourself.Further more(prenominal), it is important for the jr. generation to understand the concept that it is okay to be different, and that, gender is in the eyes of the beholder. Women are not any less competent than men, and men are not any less emotional than women. This is an important point to address when running(a) with others either in an academic or running(a) environment. A better understanding of these concepts can help better furnish a team-building atmosphere. Placing ourselves in each others shoes and sightedness things at a different prospectat different angles, can help improve gender equality. As a result, this constitutes to producing results at its nearly efficient and effective way.If we charter another step back and try other characteristics regarding my personal identity, my track down and ethnicity is only a dime sizing in the deep ocean. I was born in the Guangdong province rigid in the south of Chinese borders, and again, it is a size of a draw point if you were to locate it on the map of china. When I first arrived in the United States, my family was exceptionally traditional. It took them approximately a decade to slowly slang into the American culture. Furthermore, my parents forced me to study the Cantonese language, along with Mandarin, and my mother constantly remind me to never forge my origins. And now that I am an adult, I take her words dear to my heart. I associate myself with yel low skin and I am proud to be a part of my Chinese heritage. Nonetheless, China has over five thousand years of history, and countless cultural differences crossways all regions of Peoples Republic. And, because there are so umpteen variations indoors the Chinese heritage, it is inevitable for others to project misconceptions of Chinese people.Especially in western and European societies, we are being seen as those with squinty eyes, loud, tool abusers, and lack of etiquette and mannerism. I am not saying that there are absolutely no Chinese individuals who fits into those categories, but generally, this reflects upon everyone crosswise all cultures. We start in such a diverse world, and especially in San Francisco, there are innumerable different faces that comes in all shapes and colors. It is important that because we have a go at it in a society where diversity is so prominent, we need to get how to appreciate and accept these differences. Every culture and heritage c onsists of their own practices, values and beliefs. Do not be shy to showcase who you are, and only legal expert others similar to how you would like to be judge. I think the terra firma wherefore there are so many fallacies, and discrimination against a particular proposition race or culture is due to the fact that people are just now unaware, and afraid to accept differencesfear of change.When one is accustomed to a particular culture or language all their lives, they begin to draw barriers and become close minded with regards to the alfresco world. They become frightened of exploring the new and un beaten(prenominal), and refuse to accept diversities that resides outside their comfort zonethe ambiguous. As educators, peers, working professionals, we need to instruct others to embrace diversity in comprising an all-inclusive environment. That is the reason why I joined ASI Project Connect, is due to the different faces I see, and how they appreciate and accept me for who I am my race, culture, gender. In order for me to set up back to ASI, I will use similar attitude to upgrade and retain new members, educating them that the beauty of living lies not in all similarities and perfections, but for all the differences to help broaden our knowledge and learn more about other parts of the world.In turn, we improve ourselves on how to fineness others with dignity and mutual respect, keeping an open mind and appreciate race and ethnicities at a more personal level. Similar to what Socrates once said, The unexamined life is not worth living. We must not be wrapped in Platos cave forever, not knowing what really occurs outside our familiarity but instead, we must formulate questions and explore life outside the cave. nonetheless though it is relatively factual to say that we all share similarities, exposing ourselves with familiar characteristics which reflects another key point in relating to others with parallel interests and retaining them.But within t hose similarities consists of differences that we should all learn to value and appreciate in order to overhaul as role-models for new generations. That way, we can better recruit and retain members across all parts of the world who share both similarities AND differences. In this world, there are more than simply black and white, but we live in a society filled with compound colors. How you see yourself is more important than how others see you. You are who you are, and you should not change to fit into certain expectations or societal roles. At the end of each day, ultimately, I am who I am and theres nothing you can do or say to change me, for I am proud of being simplyme

No comments:

Post a Comment